It is vital to me that Jeneral Store is one day a 100% fully sustainable fashion brand. I welcome and appreciate any feedback or advice on how I can improve my mission.
I take pride in using innovative methods in manufacture and packaging, and am a big fan of reusing and repurposing in all elements of the business. Below are a few of the steps Jeneral Store has taken so far:
- Jeneral Store collections are either vintage sourced, or originate from an ethical supplier using responsibly sourced fabrics.
- All vintage and pre-worn items are washed on cool and air-dried, then afterwards hung on recycled cardboard hangers in the JS studio.
- Jeneral Store offers a take back scheme, where customers can post back their item after 8 weeks in the same condition, to receive 20% discount off their next purchase. I then relist or rework these items into new products, and the process starts all over again.
- The Accessory range is made from deadstock, remnant or vintage fabrics. Some are made from preloved or vintage garments, deconstructed to be given a new life.
- The invisible thread used to finish each scrunchie once belonged to my Great Aunt Mary. The reel was found in her sewing box that I inherited when she died 11 years ago.
- I only use biodegradable eco elastic in scrunchies, made from organic cotton and natural rubber.
- Sometimes vintage pieces are missing buttons, which I replace from a tin of buttons collected over many years.
- All thread used is recycled cotton.
Everything in the Jeneral Store studio was sourced second-hand, from the table I sew at, to the antique roman column used in photoshoots.
- On buying trips I avoid carbon transport. Where possible I walk, cycle or take public transport.
All Jeneral Store packaging is recycled, salvaged or sustainably sourced
Each swing tags is branded by hand with a biodegradable wax stamp, which is then placed onto a circular magazine cut-out on each tag.
My business cards are made from t-shirt off-cuts.
Every element of JS packaging is recyclable or biodegradable.
Each accessory is placed in a handmade pouch from magazine pages. Watch the short video below to see how they're made: